No fewer than four children have been reportedly dead after they were electrocuted inside a container shop in Ile Oluji/Okeigbo Local Government Area of Ondo State.
Mrs Funmilayo Odunlami, the state PPRO who confirmed the death of the children said the electric cable fell on the metal container shop inside which the deceased were staying, killing them.
She said, “Yes we can confirm the death of the four kids. An electric cable fell while they were inside a container. We have commenced investigation into the matter.”
Two of the four victims were siblings who visited their aunt for the Easter holiday in the community.
According to report, the incident happened when some children were playing inside the container.
The source said, “The electric cable fell on the container inside which the children were playing.
They were rushed to the hospital, but there was no sufficient oxygen they could use for five of them. Four later gave up the ghost. But the case of the sixth child was not serious as she can walk and talk.
“The remaining two were taken to Trauma Centre in Ondo for treatment. One has been discharged, but the second child has been referred to OAU Teaching Hospital for treatment. Two of the victims came for holiday with aunt.”
The senator representing Ondo South, Nicholas Tofowomo, said he would ensure the parents of the victims get justice if the Benin Electricity Distribution Company was found culpable of the matter.
“We cannot allow lawlessness to continue in this country. I will pursue justice for the parents if investigations showed culpability of the BEDC.
“Moreover, the government must do its job by not allowing shops or buildings to be erected under power lines. The lives of these precious children would not have been wasted if individuals do their jobs accordingly,” the senator warned.
Reacting to the unfortunate incident, the Corporate Affairs Manager of the BEDC, Ondo State, Michael Barnabas, said the incident was fatal because the metal container shop was under the high tension electric cable.
He said, “Sadly, we received information about the electrocution of four little children within our network in Ile-Oluji due to an 11kv line that snapped. As a company, we condole with the families of the children because life is very sacred and should not end prematurely this way.
It was gathered that the children were in an iron container shop that was directly under an 11kv line that snapped which led to their electrocution when they had contact with the wire. The deaths would have been avoidable if there was nothing within the 11meters right of way statutorily required for such line.
“While we don’t have the powers to relocate people directly living or trading under our electricity lines, we shall be very brutal in disconnecting such customers from the public power supply and ensure they never have access to it again which would probably lead to them relocating voluntarily out of the harm’s way. By this, we believe we can prevent future occurrence of similar sad incidents in future.”